Tuesday 23 April 2013

Bill's - Oxford

The chapel on St Michael's Street which Bill's occupies was formerly the home of The Gatehouse. I worked there for a little while, spending one evening a week distributing donuts from Sainsbury's and sandwiches from Pret to Oxford's homeless.

Redecorated in metal and pine - no doubt by Tipsy McStagger himself - the chapel now branded Bill's is unrecognisable. Unfortunately, so is the food. After being served cold chips and a burger which had the texture of wet toilet paper, I pinned for the various high street fodder previously served up to those in need. As for the service, best not to ask.

I can't understand where or how Bill's fits on the high street. The menu is eclectic, the quality of the ingredients poor, and the cooking just as bad - they can't even get a burger right, the litmus test of most high street trofferies.

Screw the artisan jams from Uncle Bill's larder lining the wall as you leave. I've visited Bill's twice now, and I won't be making that mistake again.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely agree, I went a week after it opened and it was worse than mediocre. Shan't go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becca. I've had mixed reactions to this review - as many agree as disagree. As I said, I won't be giving them another chance unless I hear that they've improved vastly.

    ReplyDelete