Monday 21 January 2013

Caravan - Kings Cross, London

A top the desolate wasteland north of Kings Cross Station sits a funky building of glass and brick housing a campus of Central Saint Martins and the 'well travelled food and might fine coffee' of Caravan.
Initially it's hard to know what to make of Caravan. A menu of breakfast, lunch, and dinner is replaced at the weekend by brunch - only brunch. It's restricted to ten or so dishes, all under a tenner, and I love it. The small number of well prepared dishes means a quick turnaround in the kitchen and on a Saturday this feels like a good extension of breakfast, yet filling enough to be lunch - possibly the dictionary definition of brunch.

Sharing a brushed steel table of four, I opted for a Camden Hells Lager (4.6%) when probably a coffee would have been a better bet. I then ate/slurped my way through a bowl of tomato reduction, chorizo and fried egg, accompanied by sourdough. Come Summer, I'm not sure if this will suit, but the goulash style meal is great when snow is on the ground.

The atmosphere is laid-back yet busy, the staff attentive and very patient with my confused friend's bread order.

I'll be back to try lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment