Monday 19 January 2015

Boom Burger - Notting Hill


Burgers, burgers everywhere, so let’s all stuff our face.

The relentless burger boom continues a pace into 2015, with a Byron appearing on every street corner and not a cloud in the medium-rare sky.

I like burgers, I truly do. The sweet, meaty, gooey goodness of fried minced-beef and cheese wedged within a solid white bun. It's the simple things in life that keep me going. One day, bust will follow boom though. What goes up, must come down. Etc, etc, etc. Burger vans, stands, and joints will make way for the Hawaiian grills, Bolivian rat 'n' rice balls, or whatever other cuisine next floats the hipster boat.

It'll be a shame, for their owners, but the rest of us can breath a little easier and take the belt back down a notch. Besides, we have plenty of South American rodent to eat.

Boom Burger in Notting Hill is one such 'restaurant' riding the waves (I never know whether to call a burger ‘joint’ a restaurant). Today, one place nestled under the dripping flyover of West London's A40; tomorrow, another nestled under the dripping ceiling of Brixton Village. An expansion from yesterday's hipsterville into today's.

Boom Burger is Jamaican themed. Where their standard burger is concerned, I'm not sure what that means. The burger has meat, cheese, and an onion relish. No Jamaican flavours added here, but as I’ve said before, I’m ignorant of most things Caribbean. Why, onion relish could well be a delicacy there.

Continuing my ignorance, I know not a thing about cooking plantain either. Still though, I know a slightly solid plantain lacking in sweetness when I see one. Perhaps not ripe enough? I don’t know, but I do know they weren’t great.

The burger, on the other hand, was fine. Said to be cooked medium rare, it turned up grey, but wasn't lacking for juice or flavour. The cheese and relish giving a sweet bite, on top of that soft meat. The bread, holding together well in the face of a slight liquid overload.

The premises though. Well, you can't blame the owners for the state of the flyover, the market stalls, or the piles of rubbish outside the door. You can, however, blame them for the shabby interior, the door that kept on banging, and the general untidiness of the place.

Okay, I’m buying a burger from a market in Notting Hill. I still expected a better standard though. I want to feel as if I can sit, eat, and wait to digest my food, not want to gulp ‘n’ blow out of there.

It was a real shame. I’ve wanted to visit Boom Burger for a long time. Now that I have, I don’t think I’ll be running back any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment